Saturday 7 July 2012

Come in and Explore


It is a sad fact that many Public Libraries in the UK are being closed by local authorities who are trying to balance their shrinking budgets (Boo, Shame etc). York Central Library has recently (2010) been refurbished as a learning hub and renamed the Explore Centre (Hurrah). Out are many of the old fixed shelves, and in are new modular displays that can be easily re-configured. They still contain book you will be relieved to hear, but much else besides. Above is the main room decorated for Jubilee Day with a 1950s feel to it.

3 comments:

  1. Glad it has survived with books intact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I too love to explore books. Whilst I do love the web there is nothing quite like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! It's on my list of must-sees. As a tourist, the library is one of the first places I go, especially if it's a historical building.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...