Saturday 19 May 2012

Portable Font


York Minster has two fonts, one is a huge old stone affair but the other is this rather fine modern wood and metal portable font. Font is derived from the Latin fons meaning spring of water. Usually this is parked up in a quiet corner of the Minster and covered with a lid bearing the words We are little fishes in Christ our great fish.
Around Easter time it is filled with water and pressed into service. I came across it stood in the Nave next to a floral and candle display. The greenery is a sprig of Rosemary.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea that this can be moved around! It's very attractive too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to like this, but it reminds me too much of a butcher's block, I'm afraid...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...