Saturday 4 February 2012

Clifford's Tower


This is the keep of the castle that Henry III ordered to be built in York in 1245 to protect the city from invasion by the Scots. It was a royal castle owned by the king himself, and the master mason was probably Henry de Reyns who was responsible for much of Westminster Abbey.  It is unusual in being a clover-leaf shape both internally and externally, with a square gateway shown here on the right. The keep known locally as Clifford's Tower, and apart from a nearby stretch of mediaeval wall it is all that remains of the castle. 

Taking part in Weekly Top Shot

9 comments:

  1. I can see why part of it has remained- what a solid looking tower- I like the clover shape too Deb. (P.S Tim thanks you for the "Face of Bo/e" dedication!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have brought tears to my eyes. I have snapped this photo while driving back in March 11, it till this morning was just another of my thousand photos I took. But now you have given me its name it has a whole new meaning. Thank you
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo, glad this photo helped to place one of your own. If you didn't get the chance to go up the tower pop back for the next few photos to see what it looks like from the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love this shot! Will you consider entering it in my 'Weekly Top Shot' meme? We're on Week #16 and I'd love to see you share with me and my readers! Here's this weeks' link: http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?p=6115

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Must visit! You're breaking my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah those pesky Scots. Great famous view Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you decided to join us and share at Weekly Top Shot :-) I hope you'll come share with us again next week...

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely shot over a blue sky background... as always, i'm fascinated with towers...they're rich in history...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...